Careers and Internships
Check out our open positions below. See a position that feels like a fit? Follow the link to continue the application.
Position: Director, Marketing & Communications
Location: Office in Boulder, Colorado with remote work potential
Reporting to: Vice President, Marketing
For a PDF version of the job description, please click here.
Based in Boulder, CO, Protect Our Winters (POW) is a nonprofit that engages and mobilizes the outdoor sports community to lead the fight against climate change through educational initiatives, political advocacy and community-based activism.
Founded by pro snowboarder Jeremy Jones in 2007, POW works against climate change by turning passionate outdoor people into effective climate advocates. We are a community of athletes, thought pioneers and forward-thinking business leaders working to affect systemic political solutions to climate change. We work hard, but we enjoy taking our meetings to the chairlift or backcountry.
The POW Director of Marketing + Communications is responsible for the implementation of all marketing and communications strategies, including the amplification of the POW brand and image. As the department director, you will be an integral member of the leadership team, and crucial to up-leveling POW’s outgoing communications through the management of a small but lethal team of communications pros. You will leverage your experience to help refine POW’s role as an inspirational and trusted brand that is accessible to existing loyalists and future advocates. To be successful in this role, you should be an experienced strategist, team leader and a precise written and visual communicator who is dedicated to expanding POW’s reach and impact.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with VP of Marketing on the development of the yearly integrated marketing and communication strategy
- Direct the programming and distribution of all organizational communications
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Digital Content Producer as well as the digital, media, web and graphic design contractors
- Ensure that brand identity guidelines are met to guarantee consistent brand communication across all organizational platforms
- Develop and institute audience segmentation strategies to align with brand growth and specific outreach goals
- Develop and maintain an integrated communications calendar, outlining all promotional needs for campaigns, programs, events and regular brand communications
- Collaborate with VP of Marketing + Communications to determine campaign goals and develop promotional briefs to support those goals
- Direct all media programming including project and team/contractor management of print and digital advertising, earned media and public relations, as well as paid social media
- Oversee cross-functional “content team” and lead the implementation of all content production for paid and owned media channels, including paid social, paid media, email marketing, blog, video and website
- Facilitate the vetting, development and deployment of new marketing channels including new media, podcasts, vlogs, and direct marketing tools such magazines or newsletters
- Foster strong brand alliances by generating opportunities to plug partners into new and existing communications efforts including co-op communication strategies, list growth opportunities and the development of plug-and-play comms toolkits
- Analyze tactical performance and test against outdoor and climate-industry standards to optimize tactical approach accordingly
- Ensure that c3 and c4 communications expenses and project KPIs are met and maintained at a tolerance of +/- 5% of approved budgets
- Negotiate contracts with vendors, contractors, partners agencies
Ideal Candidates Will Possess:
- Strong commitment to protecting the places that support an outdoor lifestyle and to the inclusion and representation of all the people who make up the Outdoor State
- A minimum of five years in a marketing or communications leadership role
- Proven experience developing and implementing successful communications strategies
- Strategic and tactical experience in digital and paid social media marketing
- Strong understanding of the role that public relations play in successful communications
- Experience in marketing metrics analysis and evaluation
- Knowledge of platforms and digital communication trends
- Efficiency-oriented project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field
- Experience within the climate change arena preferred
- Positive attitude and passion for the outdoors
- A commitment to developing strong relationships with community and partners
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Physical demands and work environment
Must operate within the context of established objectives. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
The position is located in Boulder, Colorado with remote work potential for candidates that reside in the states in which POW employs: Arizona, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Additionally, POW may consider candidates residing in Wisconsin and Vermont. Unfortunately, POW is not able to accommodate candidates residing in other states at this time.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and portfolio to [email protected] with ‘Director, Marketing and Communications’ in the subject line.
Salary commensurate with experience, with a pay range of $80,000-$90,000. Protect Our Winters offers a generous benefits package including employer paid healthcare, vision, and dental benefits as well as a retirement match. Additionally, POW offers sick and holiday time, above industry average paid time off and a family-friendly, flexible work environment.
At POW, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. POW believes that building diversity is critical to the success of a global organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Sorry, we don’t have any open internships at this time. But if you want to receive an update when we do, just fill out this form. We’ll reach out when we post new opportunities!
In the meantime, consider signing up to volunteer—we could still use your help.