Careers & Internships
POW’s Summary of Benefits
Position: Sr. Manager, Social Media
Location: Boulder, Colorado or remote work potential for candidates near Bend, OR.; Park City, UT.; or North Conway, NH.
Reporting to: Director, Marketing & Communications
Based in Boulder, CO, Protect Our Winters (POW) is a nonprofit that works against climate change by helping passionate outdoor people protect the places they live and lifestyles they love from climate change. Founded by pro snowboarder Jeremy Jones in 2007, we are a community of athletes, scientists, creatives and business leaders advancing cross-partisan policies that protect our world today and for future generations.
Protect Our Winters is seeking a Sr. Manager, Social Media to execute visual and written communications through our social media platforms. As the Sr. Manager, Social Media, you will be an integral member of our marketing and communications team, and crucial to crafting our audience’s perception of the POW brand. To be successful in this role, you should be an experienced communicator who can juggle the tactical execution, operations, comment management and analytics of social media, while authentically capturing the vibe of the outdoor community in your messaging.
In this role, you will work to implement the organization’s marketing strategy by overseeing all aspects of how POW shows up on our social channels. With an emphasis on top-of-class written and visual communications, you will weave creative messaging and visually inspiring content to reach new audiences, convert them to followers and engage them in action.
In addition to crafting your own creative content, by sourcing material from our content team and Athlete and Creative Alliances, you’ll ensure a steady pipeline of content to fill our content calendar. Your creative and data-driven efforts will support POW’s evergreen initiatives, campaign-specific activations and membership-building goals.
The ideal candidate is an outdoor enthusiast who is fueled by a passion for protecting our outdoor places; is both creative and highly organized; and is a self-starter with strong initiative who can juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Description of Responsibilities
- Leverage and help to grow the Protect Our Winter’s brand by crafting content that reinforces POW’s authenticity in respective industries (Snowboard, Ski, Climb, Trail Run, Mountaineer, Bike), and the concept that it is cool to care about climate change.
- Create engaging and inspirational content that follows platform best-practices and is optimized for growing the organization’s reach and engagement.
- Collaborate with internal Marketing and Communications, Alliance, Events and Development teams to build a content pipeline and, as needed, create and execute unique promotional plans.
- Proactively identify relevant news articles, happenings and cultural trends in respective sports and creative industries.
- Collaborate with Graphic Designer on the creation of unique assets that support storytelling objectives.
- Maintain an integrated content calendar to ensure that social content follows the strategic messaging structure.
- Follow the latest trends and test their performance to recommend the adoption of new creative tactics.
- Listen to and engage with social communities making the POW social platform interactive, inclusive and approachable.
- Track and analyze social media KPIs to ensure social activity is optimized to our goals and in line with the latest trends.
- Engage in social conversion beyond POW’s network to increase brand awareness and build a personal connection with the audiences.
Ideal Candidates Will Possess
- 5+ years experience in social media management, at an agency, brand, publication, or nonprofit or a strong personal portfolio to highlight your social media acumen.
- Experience working in, or closely with, action sports and the outdoor industry.
- Demonstrated experience managing the day-to-day operation of Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok and other social media channels.
- Deep understanding of how to drive engagement and conversion on relevant social channels.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related field preferred.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Experience working with Sprout or a similar social tool.
- Experience with Trello, Basecamp, Asana or other project management software.
- Strong understanding of the intersection of paid and organic digital content in marketing strategies.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Experience within the climate change arena preferred.
- Positive attitude and passion for the outdoors preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable working with remote colleagues through virtual tools.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with community and partners.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
The position is located in Boulder, Colorado with remote work potential for candidates near Bend, OR.; Park City, UT.; or North Conway, NH.
Applications must be submitted by July 10, 2022.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with ‘Sr. Manager, Social Media’ in the subject line.
Salary commensurate with experience, with a pay range of $70,000 – $80,000. Protect Our Winters strives to create a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We offer a generous benefits package, including 100% employer-paid healthcare, vision and dental benefits on industry-leading United and Delta plans. Additionally, we offer an immediate 4% retirement match, a WiFi and cell phone stipend and generous paid time off policies (vacation as well as sick time), 13 paid holidays and 8 hours of paid volunteer time.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application.
At POW, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. POW believes that building diversity is critical to the success of a global organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Not seeing a position that’s the right fit for you? We encourage you to keep checking back. In the meantime, you can still support us by joining Team POW.
Thank you for your interest in working for Protect Out Winters. We currently don’t have any open internship positions at this time, but encourage you to keep checking back.
In the meantime, consider signing up to be notified when new internships become available.