Careers and Internships
Check out our open positions below. See a position that feels like a fit? Follow the link to continue the application.
Position: Sr. Coordinator of Finance & Administration
Location: Boulder, CO with Remote Work Potential
Reporting to: Sr. Director of Finance
Based in Boulder, CO, Protect Our Winters (POW) is a nonprofit that engages and mobilizes the outdoor sports community to lead the fight against climate change through educational initiatives, political advocacy and community-based activism.
Founded by pro snowboarder Jeremy Jones in 2007, POW works against climate change by turning passionate outdoor people into effective climate advocates. We are a community of athletes, thought pioneers and forward-thinking business leaders working to affect systemic political solutions to climate change. We work hard, but we enjoy taking our meetings to the chairlift or backcountry.
As the Sr. Coordinator of Finance & Administration, you are analytical and rooted in numbers, finding joy in managing and implementing systems and processes. The position will work closely with POW’s CPA and audit firms which provide outsourced accounting services to produce all financial statements, annual budget, and accounts payable.
The role requires a strong desire to work independently, and creatively to help solve problems and streamline all processes and systems. In this role, you will have the opportunity to gain valuable knowledge and experience related to all aspects of nonprofit management.
In this position, you will be responsible for:
Financial Management and Reporting
- Support department heads in annual budgeting and scenario planning processes
- Coordinate payment of invoices and reimbursements, process purchase orders, codify credit card expenses in Expensify, and ensure all expenses are properly accounted for following the budget
- Support monthly financial and accounting operations, including preparing month-end reports, reconciliations, review of monthly financial statements, budget performance monitoring and forecasting, expense reporting, accounts receivable and payables management
- Work closely with third-party accountants to ensure all income and expenses are correctly entered and coded in QuickBooks and accounts are reconciled to internal documents
- Manage annual audit process, work with external auditors and CPA on 990 federal tax return preparations
- Manage financial reporting materials for all donors and support all financial, program and grants accounting to track restricted funding
- Oversee payroll and benefit management including 403(b) administration, insurance and workers compensation, Form 5500’s, payroll reconciliation and audits, health insurance, and census reporting
- Drive continuous process improvement, documentation, mapping and identification of internal controls
- Identify, evaluate and mitigate operational risks
- Manage group exemptions, state charitable registrations and compliance
- Legal management including review and updating contracts, IRS notices, time tracking, due to/from, cost-sharing agreements all in coordination with legal counsel
- Assist with compliance with IRS rules and regulations with respect to lobbying and exempt organization conduct
- Manage directors and liability insurance including workers compensation
- Manage POW’s IT platforms and support (hardware and software) and lead process and platform improvements for performance and security
- Supporting the management of additional external service providers as needed
- Support maintenance of accreditations including Guidestar and Charity Navigator
Skills, experience, and qualities that will help you be successful:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in business, accounting, finance or another relevant field
- 2-3 years experience working in finance, preferably for a non-profit organization or foundation
- Strong accounting, finance and analytical skills including planning and management
- Ability to work independently and support multiple projects simultaneously
- High degree of attention to detail, accuracy, and organization
- Self-starting and motivated to find continuous improvements in systems design and execution
- Proficient computer skills including GoogleSuite and advanced Excel. Knowledge of QuickBooks preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills across all levels of internal and external professional organizations
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Physical demands and work environment
Must operate within the context of established objectives. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee will spend prolonged periods of time sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
Applications deadline Monday, May 31, 2021.
If you know this is the right job for you, please send a resume and a cover letter (in 300 words or less) answering the question: “If you were to start this job tomorrow, how would you approach your first four weeks?” To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with Sr. Coordinator of Finance & Administration in the subject line.
Salary commensurate with experience, with a pay range of $55,000 – $60,000. Additionally, Protect Our Winters offers competitive benefits including healthcare, dental, retirement, and sick, holiday, and paid time off as well as a family-friendly, flexible work environment. This is a full-time, exempt, benefited position, reporting to the Senior Director of Finance.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application.
At POW, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. POW believes that building diversity is a critical to the success of a global organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Sorry, we don’t have any open internships at this time. But if you want to receive an update when we do, just fill out this form. We’ll reach out when we post new opportunities!
In the meantime, consider signing up to volunteer—we could still use your help.