Careers and Internships
Check out our open positions below. See a position that feels like a fit? Follow the link to continue the application.
June 24, 2020
Social Media Manager
Position: Social Media Manager
Location: Boulder, CO with Remote Work Potential
Reporting to: Communications Manager
Based in Boulder, CO, Protect Our Winters (POW) is a nonprofit that engages and mobilizes the outdoor sports community to lead the fight against climate change through educational initiatives, political advocacy and community-based activism.
Founded by pro snowboarder Jeremy Jones in 2007, POW works against climate change by turning passionate outdoor people into effective climate advocates. We are a community of athletes, thought pioneers and forward-thinking business leaders working to affect systemic political solutions to climate change. We work hard, but we enjoy taking our meetings to the chairlift or backcountry.
Protect Our Winters is seeking a Social Media Manager to align and execute all visual and written communications through our social media platforms. As Social Media Manager, you will be an integral member of our communications team, and crucial to up-leveling POW’s inspirational and trusted brand for existing loyalists and future advocates. To be successful in this role, you should be an experienced written and visual communicator who can manage both the strategy and operations of social, as well as partnering with our Athlete and Creative Alliances to expand our reach and impact.
In this role you will be implementing the organization’s marketing strategy on social media and overseeing all aspects of how POW shows up on social channels including the brand’s voice, look and community engagement. With an emphasis on top-of-class written and visual communications, you will craft and source language and visually inspiring content to engage the POW community in action and reach new audiences.
In partnership with our creatives and other departments within POW, you will help build out content calendars to ensure a steady pipeline of organic posts for our channels and will work on both evergreen social initiatives, as well as building out campaign-specific social activations that align to larger organization priorities.
You will look at performance metrics, draw insights, and optimize tactics for successful outreach.
As the ideal candidate, you are fueled by a passion for protecting the outdoors and the outdoor lifestyle fuels you. You are highly organized, able to juggle multiple tasks, manage your own workload, and take initiative and personal responsibility for all assignments.
Description of Responsibilities
Social Media Management
- Define and execute on a vision for POW’s social media portfolio that will engage existing POW loyalists and grow an audience of future supporters
- Plan and execute all media programing for evergreen and one-off campaign-led initiatives, as well as support programs and development CTAs
- Support the execution of the communication’s calendar to ensure that social content follows strategic messaging structure
Curate and create brand-consistent visual assets that support the strategic message
- Help to identify key influencers, celebrities, and partners and assist in the implementation of initiatives to leverage influencers to expand influence, affinity and authority of POW’s brand
- Listen to and engage with our communities making the POW social platform interactive, inclusive, and approachable
- Track and analyze social media KPIs to ensure social activity is optimized and responding to latest trends
- Follow and understand mainstream social media trends and how to respond to them
Graphic Design + Content
- Leverage graphic design skill set to visually communicate the POW brand, advocacy actions and build a sense of community across social media channels
- Curate and create brand-consistent visual assets that support social media objectives, for both organic and paid social media platforms
- Leverage unique graphic visual storytelling methods such as motion graphics, GIFs, infographics and illustration to create engaging content that can be used to fulfill social media and other communications needs
Ideal Candidates Will Possess
- 2+ years experience in social media management, at an agency or brand
- Demonstrated experience managing the day-to-day operation of a brand’s Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other social media channels
- Deep understanding of how to drive engagement and conversion with all relevant social channels
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, marketing, communications, or related field preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in visual identity and motion graphic design as well as art and illustration in digital design
- Expert working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience with Trello, Basecamp or other project management software
- Understand the intersection of paid and organic in digital as a function of marketing strategies
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience within the climate change arena preferred
- Positive attitude and passion for the outdoors
- Ability to manage multiple projects with limited direction in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable working with remote colleagues through virtual tools
- Enjoy developing strong relationships with community and partners
Physical demands and work environment:
Must operate within the context of established objectives. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Protect Our Winters offers excellent benefits, including paid time off and Nature RX mental health days, competitive compensation, retirement and a family-friendly, flexible work environment.
At POW, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. POW believes that building diversity is critical to the success of a global organization. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application.
Candidates wishing to apply should apply here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SocialMediaDesign
Sorry, we don’t have any open internships at this time. But if you want to receive an update when we do, just fill out this form. We’ll reach out when we post new opportunities!
In the meantime, consider signing up to volunteer—we could still use your help.